It's time to celebrate!
Plastic Ocean Project, Inc. has grown and now has a place of its own. For 11 years, we have been operating out of a 10x20 storage unit, running the NGO in our executive director's spare room, and conducting research with students at the University of North Carolina Wilmington in their science building. The science building was destroyed during Hurricane Florence in September 2018 which disabled our research for a few months.
We are now in a five office rental space next to campus that allows for an executive director office, a conference room, an art room, a lab, and storage room for research supplies, cleanup materials, and a freezer full of research projects. We are grateful to the individuals, small businesses, corporations, and family foundations who have donated to make this work possible.
We want to celebrate you, our students, volunteers, and community for making our job easier now that we have a brick and mortar location to "educate through research, conduct outreach through art, and garner solutions through collaboration with other NGOs, small business, and corporations improving the fate of plastic waste."
Join us for an all day celebration in conjunction with the Climate Strike Week September 21, 2019.
Our loose line-up!
9 -11 am International Coastal Cleanup with Live Oak Bank
Businesses Donating Supplies
- Casa PRANA
- Penguin Radio - Air-Time AND Free Concert Tickets
- Wilmington Composting Company
- Island Wellness
- Holiday Inn Resort
- Plaine Products
- River Organics
- Bump and Beyond
(10% of the proceeds go to Plastic Ocean Project, Inc.)
- OFE PanaceaBrewing Company (yes, there will be Kombucha!)
- OFE Palate Food Truck (12-3)
- OFE UNCW Seahawk Food Truck (3-6)
- OFE Wrightsville Brewing Company
- OFE RE-ECO Shop
- Noni Bacca Winery
- Thrive Hive Food Wraps
- Casa PRANA - a sustainable salon
Educational Tabling Activities
- Plastic Ocean Project Art and Science activities for kids
- Wilmington Climate Strike Team
- UNCW Plastic Ocean Project
- North Carolina Coastal Federation
- North Carolina Wildlife Federation
- What Goes Around Comes Around Art Exhibit
- Wilmington Friends School